[LAU] Single core machines.

Carlos sanchiavedraZ csanchezgs at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 15:07:49 UTC 2016

> On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 22:46:16 +0200
> Gerhard Zintel <gerhard.zintel at web.de> wrote:

> > > Is anyone still using such a thing for audio work?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Will J Godfrey
> >
> > I use a lenovo ideapad S12 (single core with Hyper-Threading) for
> > PianoTeq and B4 organ via Wine (unfortunately the latter does not
> > longer run in my latest Mint installation).
> >
> > I have to switch off network, Hyper-Threading and set the governor to
> > performance and the internal sample rate to 22050 Hz to have enough
> > polyphony. Then it works quite well.
> >
> > BTW: why do you ask?
> >
> > Gerhard
> >

> Thanks (and thanks everyone else who replied).
>
> I'm trying to get some concept of 'scale' for want of a better word.
>
> Myself, I still have one of the earliest AMD Athlons running at 1.1G and
> is on
> it's 2nd PSU and 3rd? 4th? HD.
>
> From time to time I run Yoshimi on it to see how it behaves. I have to
> switch
> off most of the compiler optimisations as it doesn't support modern sse
> stuff.
>
> I think it's fair to say it trots rather than runs :)
>
> I'm wondering if I should continue to check against this, or send it off
> to the
> home for geriatric computers.
>
> --
> Will J Godfrey
> http://www.musically.me.uk
> Say you have a poem and I have a tune.
> Exchange them and we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.

It's really appreciated that a piece of software still runs on old
machines. That way you can avoid in some way the always present programmed
obsolescence, and give a chance to recycle older machines i.e. for schools
or organizations. That's one of the focus of Musix and other distros and
desktop environments.

I guess that if a developer/you you have no time to do those checks, your
time is better spent on development; these days spare time and resources
are scarce.

Thanks.