[LAU] Echo MIDI note number being played (solved)

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 07:54:12 UTC 2016

Hi Yassin,

On 09/06/2016 01:36, Yassin Philip wrote:

> On 08/06/16 23:24, Yassin Philip wrote:
>>

>> On 08/06/16 23:01, Yassin Philip wrote:
>>> Hi all!
>>>
>>> I'm trying to find out what MIDIKEY number this weird controller I
>>> have is sending. Sure enough, I can try them all from 1 to 127, but I
>>> seem to remember an utility to do that?
>>> It would speed up the process a lot :)
>> I found a gmidimonitor that says, for each hit on the pads:
>>
>> Channel    Message
>> 10             Drum: Hi mid Tom (C, octave 3, velocity 43)
>> 1               Note on, C, octave 3, velocity 43
>>
>> But what I need is the number to use in the DrumGizmo's midimap.xml file:

Just for further reference, a really quick way would be to create a Pd
patch and attach a numberbox to a [notein] leftmost outlet (of course
connect your midi controller to Pd via alsa-midi!).
That will give you the note number. Take into account that Pd will
expose both note-on and note-off (i.e. a note with a velocity of 0)...
that's normal :)

Lorenzo.