[LAU] Linkedin - Out

David L. Craig dlc.usa at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 12:54:03 UTC 2016

On 16Jun17:0810-0400, Paul Davis wrote:

> The USA has no data protection laws, and
> even under the Obama administration tends to defer to the wishes and whims
> of large corporations.

I refer you to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_Insurance_Portability_and_Accountability_Act

: Title II of HIPAA defines policies, procedures and
: guidelines for maintaining the privacy and security of
: individually identifiable health information as well
: as outlining numerous offenses relating to health care
: and sets civil and criminal penalties for violations.

Ask your doctor's office if they've ever heard of HIPPA.

I think you need to qualify "data protection laws"; e.g.,
Ed Snowden would probably disagree with your statement as
it stands.

The IRS is extremely touchy regarding the handling of
taxpayer personal information--mishandle such and getting
fired may be the least of your problems; likewise, the SSA.
Most organizations have their own internal policies that
have the force of law for employees and contractors, and
those policies are often required by law; e.g., the
Sarbanees-Oxley Act, well-known to the IT employees of
large financial establishments.
--
<not cent from sell>
May the LORD God bless you exceedingly abundantly!

"So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.
 You'd better rearrange your beliefs, then.
 Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe."
__--from_Nightfall_by_Asimov/Silverberg_________________