[LAU] Piano composition - Lost Isle (& LV2 plugins)

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jun 26 17:45:46 UTC 2016

Not long ago I watched "Pianomania", https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano
mania , tuning the grand piano by this documentation has less to do with
A = foobar Hz. More important seems to be the consistency of the grand
piano's mechanic and tuning within whatever is the chamber pitch.

Apart from this, a friend of mine, Achim Jaroschek, a much praised
German Jazz pianist and drummer, a while back owned 2 Bechstein and one
Baldwin grand piano. All grand pianos were tune relatively good to his
taste, but we were unable to do a good home recording, due to the
missing microphones for this task.

What ever the chamber pitch might be, more important is the consistency
of the tuning, not necessarily regarding the pitch, but regarding the
emotions of the piano player, regarding the consistency of the grand
pianos behaviour and apart from this, as soon as you want to record the
piano, much more important is the available gear.

I really doubt that the tuning of the chamber pitch by itself does much
affect the result of a performance.

Indeed, decades ago, when I used the Roland MT-32, not with it's factory
sounds, but with self edited sounds, that should emulate analog synth, I
several times tuned it a little bit below 440Hz, because this added more
warmth, while all the other analog and digital synth wer tuned to 440
Hz. However, when ever I tested pitches <> 440 Hz nobody ever listening
to the recordings, including myself, felt better at any pitch higher or
lower lower 440 Hz.

A tuning that differs to 440 Hz could be important for live performance
of classic orchestras for several reasons, but is most likely is
irrelevant when making music with electronically instruments. Apart from
this the tuning usually is higher than 440 Hz, due to
loudness/transparency/brilliant, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concert_p
itch#Pitch_inflation .

In rock music guitarist's, I'm one myself, sometimes tend to either tune
in relation to 440 Hz all strings a half tone lower, I don't, or as
several people from my generation (generation x, aka grunch) and I do
sometimes, drop the low E string to D, IOW just one string a whole step
lower, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_D_tuning , however, A still
remains at 440 Hz.

Regards,
Ralf