[LAU] JACK freewheel mode: disadvantages?

jonetsu at teksavvy.com jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Wed Mar 2 01:31:01 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2 Mar 2016 00:56:57 +0100
Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:

> How about using a GNU/Linux distribution that does not ship a 2 1/2
> year old versions of jackd?

No way.  I do not want to install a new OS anytime soon.  This LM 17
works fine and is supported until 2019 security-wise.  (Hopefully no
malware will come through the updates since LM was hacked seriously
recently.)

> No drawbacks. Except you'll have to stop jackd if you want to use the
> same device as jackd is using.

> There's also a "None (Dummy)" audio system which does not need an
> actual device, but this only available if Ardour was configured
> with
>     ./waf configure --with-backends=jack,alsa,dummy
>
> (Ardour4 debug builds from http://nightly.ardour.org/ have this
> enabled).

Thanks for the details.  Can this dummy option be used for exports and
will it be in the next Ardour release ?

Cheers.