[LAU] Building an Open Source keyboard rig

Ben Bell bjb-linux-audio-user at deus.net
Sat Mar 5 08:11:04 UTC 2016

Hi Ralf,

> synth, such as the Nord has everything in a solid case. If you put your
> atom board into a 19" case, you need to carry a rack, a master
> keyboard, a professional external sound card, you need to connect by
> cables..., nobody who has experiences with real life, who is really
There are all reasonable complaints about using a computer on stage, which
is one of the many reasons I don't currently do it, even if that seems to
mark me out as the odd one out in this era of Mactop wielding softsynth
players. But they're also things that can be addressed. You can assemble the
entire thing into a custom case with MIDI in, audio out and a power supply.
It doesn't have to be a Dell-on-wheels. The hardware available to the Open
Source world now is far more interesting and varied than the Desktop or
Laptop choice that Mac and Windows users face.

I'm interested in how people would go about this. What are the obstacles,
and what can be done to mitigate? For me, stability, boot time and the
removal of the need for a screen, (typing) keyboard or ssh session are
at the top of my list.

> This ridiculous obsessive approach to replace everything music related
> by a Linux computer is much more wrong, than loudness war and auto-tune
> at one go.
Hmm. I suspect I've hit a raw nerve with you here. Personally I have no
desire to replace everything with Linux.

> Linux or any other computer based solution is an extension to stand
> alone music gear, but it can not replace this gear.
>
> And by the way, if the OP insists in replacing real gear, by a computer
> solution,
He really doesn't, you know. He just wants to explore the idea of how it
could be done. The Nord has its limitations too. It has a paltry amount of
sample memory, it has various hardwired limitations (pitch bend can only
be +/- two semitones), only some of its parameters can be automated, and
as a master keyboard it has limitations which I've had to work around with
various bits of external kit.
The attraction of a *working* Open Source keyboard rig is obvious. I agree
that it's unlikely that in three weeks time I'll have the Open Source
keyboard rig of my dreams up and running, but I'd still love to hear how
people would go about it and try pushing things forwards a bit.

> the OP should consider to buy an Apple based solution.
> Linux simply can not hold ground for this kind of usage.
But the only way that will change is if people figure out how to push it
forward :)

Dream a little!