[LAU] Building an Open Source keyboard rig

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sun Mar 6 08:23:49 UTC 2016

On Sat, March 5, 2016 6:56 am, Ben Bell wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 03, 2016 at 11:07:05AM +0100, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
>> Just like you say ;) I wouldn't base it on an embedded ARM board but
>> would indeed go for something a bit more powerful and X86-64 based. For
>> booting I'd look at booting from RAM (maybe using Puppy Linux or
>> something like Debirf).
> Debirf now bookmarked, thanks.
>
>> Soundcard will probably be USB so a good USB
> I'm inclined to start with a Behringer UMC204HD. Four audio outs and MIDI
> IO.
>
>> implementation on the mobo is key.
> This is where I'd start to come unstuck. Anyone got some recommendations
> for the board itself? Functioning USB, no proprietary chipsets, or bits
> that muck up low-latency. Ideally something that boots fast rather than
> sitting around at the Press <F1> to enter setup prompt for ages. Has
> anyone
> got experience of the NUC stuff?

The low end NUC is reliable and fully supported in ubuntu. I had some
issues with debian driver support when I first set it up ubuntu had them
sorted at the time. It does occasionally overheat and lock up but it seems
to be a video driver issue and might already be fixed if I upgrade the
drivers.

I can't vouch for the stability of the high end options but I have similar
spec'd notebook hardware made by ASUS and it is rock solid.

If you build one of the latest models you might need to be patient for
upto a year to get full support for all the drivers.

I would go for the i7 model if I was using it as a live performance
workhorse.

The cases are solid and portable. Chuck an SSD on it and it will be hard
to loose data due to a bump while in transit.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd