[LAU] Building an Open Source keyboard rig

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Sun Mar 6 10:13:12 UTC 2016

On 03/04/2016 08:56 PM, Ben Bell wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 03, 2016 at 11:07:05AM +0100, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
>> Just like you say ;) I wouldn't base it on an embedded ARM board but
>> would indeed go for something a bit more powerful and X86-64 based. For
>> booting I'd look at booting from RAM (maybe using Puppy Linux or
>> something like Debirf).
> Debirf now bookmarked, thanks.
>
>> Soundcard will probably be USB so a good USB
> I'm inclined to start with a Behringer UMC204HD. Four audio outs and MIDI IO.

Haven't heard those yet but I guess they're hard to beat when it comes
to the price and quality.

>> implementation on the mobo is key.
> This is where I'd start to come unstuck. Anyone got some recommendations
> for the board itself? Functioning USB, no proprietary chipsets, or bits
> that muck up low-latency. Ideally something that boots fast rather than
> sitting around at the Press <F1> to enter setup prompt for ages. Has anyone
> got experience of the NUC stuff?

Unfortunately I have no experience with contemporary motherboards :( If
I'd go shopping for one I'd check if there's a decent USB controller on
it and if these don't share IRQ's with other peripherals.

Jeremy