[LAU] Routing MIDI Channels between ALSA and JACK

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Mar 10 13:01:25 UTC 2016

On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 13:48:09 +0100, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
>IIRC for Jack2 this is -Xalsarawmidi. You can also use a2jmidid but
>then you need to start that in the background after having started
>JACK.

No, -Xalsarawmidi does reduce MIDI jitter, but requires a2jmidid for the
routing. If needed I run

  jackd --sync -Xalsarawmidi -dalsa -r48000 -p256

and

  a2jmidid -e

$ man a2jmidid | grep -A2 OPTIONS
OPTIONS
       -e | --export-hw
              forces a2jmidid to bridge hardware ports as well as software ports

As already pointed out, newer versions of jack 1 provide an option that
also reduces MIDI jitter and a2jmidid isn't needed, but I didn't use it.