[LAU] Music: What Brings the Wind (c2016-07)

jonetsu at teksavvy.com jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Thu Mar 24 12:26:15 UTC 2016

On Thu, 24 Mar 2016 06:19:01 +0000
Yassin Philip <philcm at gnu.org> wrote:

> On 03/23/2016 12:33 AM, jonetsu at teksavvy.com wrote:

>> Exported without normalization.

> Apparently that was the right thing to do: It sounds really good
> (loud enough too!) made me dreamy... A really nice tune, really...
> Full of gentle surprises... :) Thanks for the share!

Only recently did I find such staggering effect this normalization,
when exporting a quiet piece that was very likely recorded not loud
enough.  The product of this mathematical, static, processing was not
nice at all.  Now I have created an alternate export profile,
"SansNorm", that I will always use until I get to know more about why
people rely on this kind of extra processing enough to have as a
default in Ardour.  Maybe the problem was actually with the too soft
recording, but I'll nevertheless not use it for a few months.

Up to now, from what I have learned, if someone wants a wall of sound,
then the way is to use an appropriate compressor technique.  In all
mixing articles and videos I have seen, there was no attention towards
this normalization process.  Maybe it is something taken for granted
that no-one mentions and all DAWs perform ?  I don't know.

As for the piece, it was recorded with the Mixbus 3.2 version of
Ardour.  There is one thing I have tried: at the beginning and at the
end there is this 'wind in the forest' noise, with some barn door
creaking.  Well, the same noise is put in the verses, at the exact same
level.  I am not sure about the subliminal effect it can have, although
sometimes I subjectively feel that there's some 'openess' in the verses
because the mind perceives, registers this feeling of wind.

There's some grunting too, but the guy, me, that plays guitar
has not learned yet no to do that !  I guess it goes along with the
barn door creaking :)

Cordialement.