[LAU] ZynAddSubFX Usability Survey

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Sun May 1 11:07:47 UTC 2016

Additionally, "real musicians don't use presets" is just plain false, at
least as a generic statement.
It is only true in a narrow case of when you are claiming that your music
is about designing original
sounds - then using presets is indeed cheating. But outside of this use
case - presets are patches,
made by professional and/or talented sound designers. And it is better to
use patches made by people
who know what they are doing, then try making your own lame ones, just for
the sake that they are
"your own".

Which reminds me of this joke:

I thought using loops was cheating, so I programmed my own using samples. I
then thought using samples was cheating, so I recorded real drums. I then
thought that programming it was cheating, so I learned to play drums for
real. I then thought using bought drums was cheating, so I learned to make
my own. I then thought using pre-made skins was cheating, so I killed a
goat and skinned it. I then thought that that was cheating too, so I grew
my own goat from a baby goat. I also think that is cheating, but I'm not
sure where to go from here. I haven't made any music lately, what with the
goat farming and all.

On Sun, May 1, 2016 at 12:55 PM, Ben Bell <bjb-linux-audio-user at deus.net>
wrote:

> On Sun, May 01, 2016 at 09:28:23AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > Zyn isn't missing a "deep sound algorithm", it's missing presets.
> > Presets are also useful as basis for sound designers and a must have
> > for musicians who just want to make music.
>
> I think this is a fair point about a lot of Open Source tools. For all the
> claims that you hear "real musicians don't use presets, they make their
> own patches" I think the truth is that if you can't reach for a tool and
> immediately get something good and inspiring from it you're unlikely to
> persist with it long.
>
> A well organised, wide range of musically useable presets transforms a
> synth,
> or effect's appeal. Without that it's a matter of faith that the synth will
> actually repay your time investment in it.

Louigi Verona
http://www.louigiverona.com/