[LAU] ZynAddSubFX Usability Survey

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Sun May 1 11:57:19 UTC 2016

On 29/04/16 18:18, Will Godfrey wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 11:37:25 -0400
> Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
>
>>  From Apple's "Optimizing Audio Unit User Experience in Logic Studio"
>>
>> "For even better user interface integration, custom Audio Unit Views should
>> refrain from using overlay windows and from opening sheets or auxiliary
>> windows other than for file browsing. All user interface elements should be
>> presented inside the root Audio Unit View by laying out its content
>> dynamically and resizing as necessary. The host window listens to size
>> change notifications and will adapt automatically."
>
> Well now, I had intended to stay out of this discussion - not my business - but
> I can't let this go without comment.
>
> I don't use any Apple, nor any Microsoft kit, so don't feel obliged to adhere
> to their diktats. Indeed I *specifically* want to get away from other people
> telling me what I should do; how I should 'experience' the computer.
>
> Since the days of the Acorn Archimedes, everything I use has had independent
> windows that can be placed where *I* want them, and instantly rolled up to just
> the title bar. From what I've observed I can work much faster than people using
> single panel programs with any degree of complexity. In particular, with most
> programs, at the flick of the scroll wheel I can view a window to remind myself
> of it's contents while maintaining input focus in another - the bulk of which
> doesn't even have to be visible.
>
> One of the reasons my sequencer of preference is Rosegarden is that they take
> the same approach. It is entirely normal for me to have 5-6 track windows open
> but scrolled up with just their title bars set like Hanover bars while also
> observing the main transport. This is a godsend when editing, especially when
> checking timelines, or copy-pasting just a few notes from one track to another.

Personally I really support all of Will's comments. I can't say anything
about working faster or not. I *can* only stress Will's use case e.g.
with Rosegarden (I don't mostly even don't bother to roll the window up
and just use ALT+TAB which on XFCE enables you to have a vertical list
of windows with their title texts and is rather configurable).

> However, I don't tell anyone else they should do the same - I don't even tell
> the Gnome people they are wrong :)

Well.. but you still can voice your opinion, even if it seems to be a
minority one :)

Lorenzo.