[LAU] ZynAddSubFX Usability Survey

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun May 1 13:20:51 UTC 2016

On Sun, 1 May 2016 02:44:01 -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
>Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> Presets are also useful as basis for sound designers and a must have
>> for musicians who just want to make music.
>
>As far as this is true, it is not an issue of ZynAddSubFX
>specifically, but Linux audio in general.

I already mentioned, that it's an issue for all free as in beer
synthesizers, that aren't emulations of hardware synth or are unable to
import sound fonts. We need to make sounds on our owns or to import
zillions of free as in beer sounds, to search and pick out the few
usable sounds.

It is in so far an issue for Zyn, as IMHO opinion an improved GUI might
not be a reason to pay for a new release of Zyn, while IMHO providing a
release that comes with a huge selection of amazing good sounds, is a
very good reason to pay for it.

However, the coder was in a pissy mood by my statement and mentioned
that by his research, a GUI is more wanted, than a selection of sounds.

Mixing an Oooh or Aaah choir with a virtual generated analog pad sound
is something nobody needs anymore, resp. if needed, those sounds
already exist. Proprietary synth that mix synthesises similar to Zyn
provide enhanced sounds. Not the user interfaces, with all their
vector, wobble and arpeggiator/step sequencer features are that
important. The gimmickry wears away. The unobtrusive, but
impressing preset sounds are important.

A piano gets never out of fashion, neither do some synths sounds ever
get out of fashion. Providing new sounds, that are always good for
musical expression are what IMHO people are willing to pay for.

Regards,
Ralf