[LAU] Soundcraft Signature 22 MTK mixer/interface

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun May 1 15:32:03 UTC 2016

On Sun, 1 May 2016 08:55:53 -0400, Joe Hartley wrote:
>There are no actual channel inserts so you can't patch in external
>gear.

That's unusual, but what exactly does an insert? The output is behind
the gain and the input before anything else. The mixer already provides
a dbx compressor/Limiter for some channels. If an insert should be
missing, I guess connecting in series, instead of inserting, doesn't
make a big difference, just the gain is after the external gear and not
before the external gear.

>There's no power switch, so the board's live when you plug it in.

One redundant part less, that could get broken and is good for
absolutely nothing.

>There is a single global phantom power switch for all mic inputs.

Actually this shouldn't matter. Phantom power shouldn't cause an
issue, if it's turned on, for gear that doesn't require phantom power.
It's not unusual, that phantom power is turned on/off for all channels.

I suspect that durability could be an issue and for sure repairing is a
PITA, because most likely it suffers from a complicated disassemble and
put together design. One minute is needed for replacing a bloated
electrolytic capacitor, but most likely it takes forty-eight hours to
open and close the mixer.

Thank you Joe, for the report.

Regards,
Ralf

PS:

On Sun, 1 May 2016 09:46:27 -0400, Joe Hartley wrote:
>I have no idea how they are doing it at this price point.  I suspect
>that the board will catch on like wildfire and the price will go up.

I hope the price won't go up. I need a long time, even to be able to pay
for such a less expensive device and I need something like this.