[LAU] [Bulk] Re: Tilt EQ

Alessio Degani alessio.degani at ymail.com
Wed May 4 20:00:34 UTC 2016

Hi Ralf, list

On 04/05/2016 19:22, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> [CUT]
>
> http://www.tonelux.com/images/tilt%20eq%20sm.jpg
>
> Around a centre frequency you reduce/gain the left/right side of the
> frequency spectrum.
>
> There's absolutely no need to know this for professional audio
> engineering, this is for another target group.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf
> ____
Yes, a tilt EQ can be implemented in different ways, and perhaps the
most simple way is the cascade of low + high shelving EQ with the gain
control that moves in opposite way with respect to eachother. In fact,
at the moment I use this exact configuration.
Since I'm very lazy, I'm searchin for a plugin that does this with one
"tilt" knob instead of using two gains :)
I've to equalize some recordings that suffer of uneaven low/high
spectrum balance, and the "unbalancing" is different from recording to
another, so, one knob should speed up the eq processing.

Another way can be to automatically analyze each track, estimate the
"unbalancing" factor ad correct it using, for example, MATLAB/OCTAVE.
But the audio content of each track is not sufficiently representative
and very different from track to track, so a correction by ear is needed.
The first that comes to my mind is tilt EQ.

Regards,

--
a.