[LAU] [Bulk] Re: Tilt EQ

Alessio Degani alessio.degani at ymail.com
Wed May 4 21:50:10 UTC 2016

On 04/05/2016 23:03, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Wed, 4 May 2016 22:47:01 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> On Wed, 4 May 2016 22:00:34 +0200, Alessio Degani wrote:
>>> Yes, a tilt EQ can be implemented in different ways, and perhaps the
>>> most simple way is the cascade of low + high shelving EQ with the
>>> gain control that moves in opposite way with respect to eachother.
>> Did you read Fons response? "That's just a shelf filter and some gain".
Yes... it's a possible way of implementing a tilt... and?

>> One shelving filter does it all. In addition you anyway need to adjust
>> the loudness impression. One knob can't do it.
I don't care about loudness (at the moment).
> Please explain it.
>
> You have to equal shelving filters, IOW based on the same frequency and
> the same quality, bandwidth.
>
> What is the difference between increasing one filter 1dB (aka +1dB) and
> decreasing the other one 1dB (aka -1dB) or just using one filter
> increasing or decreasing 2dB and adjusting the overall volume?

Undoubtedly true, but what's the point?
You have to give -1 dB before using the +2 dB shelving (again, two knobs).
I know the math... I was just asking if there exist a tilt eq! If not,
no problem :) I go with shelving.
The only difference using a cascade of 2 shelving in place of a gain
stage + 1 shelving is in the phase response of the system. So in the 90%
of the use case there will be no difference between this two approaches
but, again, that's not my original question.

Thank you all for the replies!
Cheers,

--
a.