[LAU] MIDI-Controller for Ardour

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu May 12 11:31:14 UTC 2016

On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 4:38 AM, Michael Jarosch <riotsound at riotmusic.de>
wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, den 11.05.2016, 14:24 -0400 schrieb Paul Davis:
>
> The big problem with the Mackie Control protocol is that it only allows 8
> channels per MIDI port, so if you want to build up a more serious size
> console, you need several device connected via multiple MIDI ports, or a
> bigger device connected by >1 MIDI port.
>

> Best thing would be if I could control all the 24 channels of my HDSP
> 9652. (I don't use the S/P-DIF.)
>

> Really, just 8 channels with the MCU? Doesn't it have pages to flip
> through?

Sure. I'm talking about the number of physical faders. You can bank through
any number if that works for you.

> Is there a manufacturer that offers Linux Software for (better/easier)
> configuration?
>

> The configuration is all in Ardour, and has basically nothing to do with
> Linux at all.
>

> I finally found the url I was looking for:
> http://manual.ardour.org/using-control-surfaces/midi-binding-maps/

No, that's using completely different technology, absolutely nothing to do
with MIDI binding maps.

> Oh! The MCU (Pro) isn't there at all. Does it only work with the Mackie
> Control Protocol?

MCP is based on MIDI. It is not, however "generic MIDI". If you have a
device that supports MCP, it is better to use our MCP support. If you have
a device that sends MIDI but does not support MCP, you can create (or use
an existing) MIDI binding map. The Behringer devices can be set to do
either. Mackie Control (and the "Pro") version only support MCP.