[LAU] M/S processing w/o 'convenient' plugins

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sat May 21 09:43:35 UTC 2016

On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 11:08:22AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Sat, 21 May 2016 08:34:55 +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>
> >Do you claim that such cases don't exist ?
>
> I never did! I _unambiguous_ pointed out that I agree with Jörn.

Then what is your problem ?

> Regarding the pan pots, what exactly is beyond completely to the
> right and completely to the left?

You can decrease stereo width by moving the panpots on L and R
towards the center. This is equivalent to reducing the S gain
of an M/S signal. To increase width you'd boost the S signal.
That would correspond to turning the panpots beyond full L and R.

> ... but it's more likely that you never experience that rare cases.

Clearly you haven't.

I've done a lot of recording using a main stereo pair (and any
number of spot mics as required), and I've used some form of
M/S processing on *almost all* of them.

For example, in many cases I'd have preferred supercardioids
for the main pair, but I only had cardioids available. A few
dB gain on S turns those into supercardioids (with a slightly
higher angle between them).

Of course that's very different from the type of music that
William is making, but if M/S based processing is useful for
his workflow I don't see any reason why he shouldn't use it.

Ciao,

--
FA