[LAU] realtime priority - FIFO vs Round Robin and scheduling

Kjetil Matheussen k.s.matheussen at gmail.com
Wed May 25 12:20:25 UTC 2016

>  Luka Prin?i? / Nova deViator:
>

> Renoise seems to be running some threads with FIFO scheduler with a
> priority that is _below_ that of JACK and firewire driver (correct
> right?), but ALSO some threads using Round Robin scheduler with VERY
> HIGH RT priority of 95. my question is if this is a possible cause for
> glitches and XRUNS?

This thread could be a watchdog thread, in which case a priority of 95
should be unproblematic.

The glitches and XRUNS you see are probably due to other reasons
than thread priorities. Renoise is probably doing some time consuming things
in the jack thread, or is the victim of priority inversion, or waiting for
a non-realtime thread doing some work.