[LAU] #musicmadewitlinux - Arctic Auscultate

jonetsu at teksavvy.com jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Fri May 27 23:47:53 UTC 2016

On Fri, 27 May 2016 15:47:06 +1000 (EST)
"Patrick Shirkey" <pshirkey at boosthardware.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 27, 2016 8:41 am, jonetsu at teksavvy.com wrote:
> > On Fri, 27 May 2016 06:28:40 +1000 (EST)
> > "Patrick Shirkey" <pshirkey at boosthardware.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> >> Some of you might enjoy this downtempo track which has a selection
> >> of samples taken from archival material recorded in the Arctic
> >> ocean over 30 years ago.
> >
> >> https://youtu.be/RC82Xu5Al6w
> >
> > I don't understand why this is categorized as 'downtempo' since it
> > has no tempo whatsoever.  It is a collage of ambient files, if it
> > is not one single sample file.
> >

> I did point out that the track uses historical archive footage.

I know.  That's why I was waiting.  Waiting for the tempo to start.

> I suppose it is a backhanded compliment that you cannot discern any
> obvious edits and it all sounds like one recording.

Not so sure :)

> Maybe I could have called it "NO tempo" track but then someone else
> would point out that the Jarre inspired soundscape meandering through
> the background was obviously composed to a specific tempo so I would
> be pissing them off instead.

Well the term 'downtempo' is specific.  I have no idea if Jarre made
any downtempo music.  But it is easy to verify that some of the popular
artists of the style, the ones that I know, like Kruder & Dorfmeister,
Thievery Corporation, Nujabes, Bonobo, Tosca, all have definite beats.
Often not much more than 90 BPM since it is relatively smooth, easy
flowing music.

The wikipage shows that there is one "jarre" in the style, Nicolas
Jaar :)

This is all in friendly terms.  Just wanted to point out, as a
comparison, that if I make a piece that I call 'heavy metal' which is
made only of audio samples of jackhammers, then a 'heavy metal' fan
might be a tad disappointed.