[LAU] Apply plugin effects to a sound file using the CLI

Yassin Philip philcm at gnu.org
Sun May 29 11:57:20 UTC 2016

On 29/05/16 08:19, Ffanci Silvain wrote:
> Yassin Philip, May 29 2016:
>
>> Hi list!
>>
>> I'm recording screencasts with ffmpeg, and I'd like to add
>> compression and a bit of reverb to the voice track afterwards, is
>> there a cool, scriptable way to do that?
> Hey hey Philip,
> I don't know about cool, but there is applyplugin, which is part of
> the basic ladspa installation. It can apply plugins on the
> commandline. But I found it awkward, still, that's probably just me.
>
> Ecasound can apply LADCSPA, some LV2 plugins and some internal
> plugins. I like it's syntax much better and there are lots of helpful
> examples on its website. With some clever code you can even add
> convultion reverbs from jconvolver. The clever bit is having two
> parallel tracks to get dry/wet levels. :)
>
> For full on reverb jconvolver has fconvolver, which will render
> directly to a file.
>
> Nama can execute its own scripts. It is based on Ecasound, but has man
> more high level controls. You can execute for-loops over all tracks or
> subgroups of tracks in a project, including the application of
> effects, sends, settings, rendering to disk with effect and more...
> Though its high level operations might be helpful, you might find Nama
> a bit too high level and interactive for your purposes.
>
> There are more solutions, but even though they allow for more power,
> their learning curve is steeper. :( If you'd still like to know about
> them, just shout. :)
Wow, thanks very much for this thorough answer, I'm going to look into
Ecasoud, It's about time now.

About my screencast, I had a lapse of reason and ended up using "live"
LV2 effects in calf-jack (and also completely changed my logic as I'm
now using pulse jack sink to mix everything down to stereo) and doing so
I accidentally discovered the killer "Patchbay" feature of QJackctl that
literally *locks* the jack connections in a fixed state, before that I
was only seeing it at a redundancy on top of the actual connections. The
time I lost not investigating this before is punition enough ;(

yPhil

--
Yassin "xaccrocheur" Philip
http://manyrecords.com