[LAU] Look ma, I'm in the paper :)

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Tue Nov 1 22:12:54 UTC 2016

On Tue, 1 Nov 2016 19:27:50 +0100
Massimo Barbieri <massimo at fsfe.org> wrote:

> The page of my website in which I talk about the
> philosophy of my musical project is called "Free as in freedom".
> I do care about freedom.

> http://johnoption.org/?page_id=9

Strange freedom where one is obliged to do certain things when re-using.

"You must give appropriate credit by writing ..."

"you must distribute your contributions under the same license"

I can get a sample pack and use anything without having to give credit,
and without to perpetuate the same licensing.

For a user, which one has more freedom ?

>> 2. Money is not the only limitation possible in life. GPL is a very
>> strict, non-permissive license. The only license that is truly
>> fully permissive is CC0. If you are using a CC Attribution Share
>> Alike, you are forcing me to share my product as well.

> Forcing you to share your product as well is what I want to do!

Tell that to someone who has invested $350,000 in developing a product.

> I feel that if I use free software, free music, free culture etc... I
> should give back something.

I feel that while there is life in me I feel sharing because this is
life essence of interaction.

In the context of music, no arguments so far made it for Open Source.
They all sound like some fantasy land where unknown people spontaneously
add features to Open Source software because they read about a good
idea in a forum; where musicians spends countless hours of learning
software code; where bugs gets fixed by those same unknown people
because they read it in a forum and wanted to Share in this Fantasy,
and so on so forth.

Of course no so much of that happens.  Any serious projects has
guidelines, aims, goals.  Software functions and functionality cannot
be spawned like a Hydra, if not it becomes a nightmare to maintain and
prevents evolution.  No musician spends months of studying code.

Insisting on these aspects only, IMHO, blocks mainstream investment in
the platform, for the music domain (not talking servers nor embedded
here), by coming across like uprooted, not having to earn a living,
fantasy-like and, not so much freedom as dissension is quite often
frowned apart by Holders of the Knowledge 'star' figures who would
perhaps found themselves at ease chasing witches in a past century :)

There must be better arguments to have Open Source in the music domain,
isn't it ?

Cheers.