[LAU] Look ma, I'm in the paper :)

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Wed Nov 2 13:53:12 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2 Nov 2016 07:38:26 +0100
Massimo Barbieri <massimo at fsfe.org> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that today we have so many amazing free software
> thanks to this restriction of the GPL license that is there in the
> license since 1989.

When compared to Windows freeware of the 90s, one difference with Linux
software is the level of seriousness and dedication.  Because many
professionals were supporting the movement and yes, the distribution of
source code as well as documentation (when it was not the source code
itself).

And this principle has spread undoubtedly to musical/audio
applications.  If I was to write a jackd application I would get to the
documentation, but I would also look into some existing applications.
It always nice to have working code rather than only examples.

So this would be the first real argument for Open Source in Linux
audio and music and developing software.  Everything you want to know is
there, you just have to go for it.

For the musician, though, the argument does not hold.  Why would a
musician choose the Linux platform apart from not having/willing to
spend money ?  A musician that creates, arranges and mixes music, not a
SW guy that makes "sounds on the side" when there is free time from SW
tasks.

What would make a musician choose Linux ?

Cheers.