[LAU] Look ma, I'm in the paper :)

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 16:19:01 UTC 2016

I disagree that reading someone's code is a good way to educate yourself.

I am a developer myself. If I need to solve something, I might go read the
documentation and, yes, examples, or watch a tutorial, or ask a question on
a forum or Stack Overflow. Very-very rarely would I need to look at the
code of someone's program. Very rarely. In fact, I don't remember last time
I had to do it.

Another good way to learn is to go work for a company.

In fact, most people in the world are using proprietary software and never
were part of a Linux or open source community and yet they know how to
program. If looking at code was the only way to learn code, all Linux
hobbyists would be the only ones in the world who know how to code, but
this is clearly not the case.

So, I disagree that you need open source projects to learn. What you need
is a community, not open sourced programs.

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 3:53 PM, Massimo Barbieri <massimo at fsfe.org> wrote:

> Il 02/11/2016 14:53, jonetsu ha scritto:
> > What would make a musician choose Linux ?
>
> Mmmm... it's not easy to find the answer to your question, probably
> because there are many reasons for a musician to choose (or not) Linux.
> I record my music with Linux because is the system I like most, and
> because with Ardour, Hydrogen and some great plugins I can do what I
> want to do.
>
> Ciao,
> Max
>
> --