[LAU] Look ma, I'm in the paper :)

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 19:29:36 UTC 2016

There are many kinds of developers. I am not a desktop developer, I am a
web developer. I was a professional web dev for many years, now I am a
hobbyist and code for my own needs.
So, while I know how to write for the web and how to write PHP, JavaScript,
work with MySQL and stuff, I know very little about doing anything on the
desktop (apart from coding some games, usually with the help of frameworks).

But you actually raised a very good point in that being a developer does
not mean you are a developer of everything.

Therefore, open source desktop DSP program written in C++ is only relevant
to a person who knows DSP coding on the desktop using C++. So, a given open
source program is potentially interested only to a segment of developer
community.

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 7:06 PM, Hanspeter Portner <
dev at open-music-kontrollers.ch> wrote:

> On 01.11.2016 14:07, Louigi Verona wrote:
> > *Can you modify the proprietary software?* Nope. However, neither can I
> > modify open source software. I am not a programmer, therefore theoretical
> > ability to modify, say, my favorite looper Kluppe is quite irrelevant to
> > me. I tried asking developers for help - nobody could do it. Period. For
> me
> > virtually zero difference. Kluppe might as well had been proprietary.
>
> On 02.11.2016 17:19, Louigi Verona wrote:
> > I am a developer myself. If I need to solve something, I might go read
> the
> > documentation and, yes, examples, or watch a tutorial, or ask a question
> on a
> > forum or Stack Overflow. Very-very rarely would I need to look at the
> code of
> > someone's program. Very rarely. In fact, I don't remember last time I
> had to do it.
>
> This two statements of yours seem slightly contradictory.
>
> Are you a developer or not?
>
> If you don't know for sure, one could argue that you most probably are not
> and
> thus may actually have disqualified yourself in the matter of comparing
> learning
> techniques in software development...

Louigi Verona
http://www.louigiverona.com/