[LAU] New Music: Five of Cups

Christopher Arndt chris at chrisarndt.de
Tue Nov 8 10:01:47 UTC 2016

Hi Ben,

Am 07.11.2016 um 13:11 schrieb Ben Bell:
> Just a quick note to say my new album (Patchwork Cacophony, Five of Cups)
> was released today.

I'm listening to it right now, and this is very enjoyable and professsional.

> Once again, almost everything was produced on Linux using Ardour and other
> Open Source software (though there are very few soft synths -- it's mostly
> olde fashioned drums, guitars, voices and physical keyboards).

Can you tell us a bit about the keyboards used? I see a Nord Stage and a
Yamaha in your Live photo on the bandcamp site. Anything else?

> The music is prog rock, with a strong emphasis on keyboards and classic-era
> sort of sounds rather than more metal-influenced which is seeing a bit of
> a rennaissance these days.

Just my cup of tea. Very retro-proggy indeed. The (your?) high singing
voice is not exactly what I prefer (I hate Jon Anderson's style of
singing) but it's not in any way off-putting and the delivery is
top-notch (sometimes reminds me of Supertramp as well).

Thanks for sharing!

Chris