[LAU] Using commandline app to mark/detect sounds above a threshold

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Nov 8 14:15:42 UTC 2016

On Tue, 8 Nov 2016 15:05:24 +0100, Kjetil Matheussen wrote:
>libsndfile is not the limiting factor. It's the wav format that doesn't
>support large files.

The English Wiki disagrees with your claim that w64 files are limited
to 2.1G(B, the Wiki likely mean GiB, the OP perhaps GB), even wav seems
not to be limited to 2.1G(B|GiB).

"Limitations

The WAV format is limited to files that are less than 4 GB, because of
its use of a 32-bit unsigned integer to record the file size header
(some programs limit the file size to 2 GB).[note 1] Although this is
equivalent to about 6.8 hours of CD-quality audio (44.1 kHz, 16-bit
stereo), it is sometimes necessary to exceed this limit, especially
when greater sampling rates, bit resolutions or channel count are
required. The W64 format was therefore created for use in Sound Forge.
Its 64-bit header allows for much longer recording times. The RF64
format specified by the European Broadcasting Union has also been
created to solve this problem." -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV#Limitations

Regards,
Ralf