[LAU] JACK Freewheel mode thoughts

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Nov 11 09:55:28 UTC 2016

I guess the advantage of export features is, that it works around
software and user errors, when recording within a studio in the box.
This is a good thing. I guess it doesn't matter that it is faster, than
recording in real-time, at least not for music productions. Sure, to
finish a radio report, it's good, if it could be done faster than
real-time, but making art shouldn't follow this fast foot approach. IMO
making art, just using one tool is boring. If you make an airbrush
painting, you need to draw with brushes, too, otherwise it looks
uninteresting. If you use a DAW to master music, you could add artistic
quality by a real-time recording, when using external gear, too. The
reason for this is that diversity is better than inbreeding. I can't
imagine something more boring, than "done with Linux only". And when
making art, we should not care that much about saving of time. Making
music is like having sex, it's better, if it's done in real-time,
nobody wants to make love faster than real-time.

Résumé

Yes, it's good to have an export feature, because it's faster, to
finish work, such as a radio report.

Yes, it's good to have this feature for music productions, to work
around software and user errors.

No, it's counter-productive to save time, when making art.

No, while it's true that your idea is about adding external virtual
software from the same machine to the all-in-one DAW, it still
excludes external gear. You quasi could ask, should all software
available for Linux audio, also be available as a plug in for a
all-in-one DAW. Yes, this would be nice ;) and IMO the better approach
for the studio in the box.

Regards,
Ralf