[LAU] JACK Freewheel mode thoughts

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Fri Nov 11 18:37:32 UTC 2016

On 11/11/2016 06:48 PM, Len Ovens wrote:

> As far as I know, most of this should be possible right now. Jack does
> tell all clients when it enters freewheel. Really what is the difference
> from freewheel to real time? Each client still spends the same time
> processing as based on the same SR.

Every application that uses ringbuffers to decouple the process callback
from actual processing will fall over if freewheeling is not special cased.

There are more than a couple of jack-apps that process in background
thread(s) (e.g. convolvers), not to mention synths that stream from disk
or capture apps that write to disk.

> On the practical side, what does freewheel gain?

e.g. Export a 90 min soundtrack (or podcast or concert,..) in just under
5 minutes (or thereabouts;  ~ 1.0 / DSP-load faster, export usually also
happens with larger buffers with decreases DSP load)

ciao,
robin