[LAU] JACK Freewheel mode thoughts

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 08:44:08 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Thanks for the great input and very interesting insights.

I think Robin nailed exactly the kind of scenario I was thinking of.

In my case it's mostly recording into Ardour for the soundtrack I've
been working on for about 10 months.

I understand my workflow is probably a bit corner case, but being able
to speed-up inter-application recording would have been nice simply
because in Ardour I would then do mixing, effects and more.

So in the sequencer I would be doing the more musical/compositional
aspects (in sync with the video), obviously trying to get the overall
timbre aspects as near as possible as my idea/feel, but usually
preferring dry instruments.
In Ardour I may be adding small sound 'design' effects/details (e.g. a
reverse cymbal sample to) and fine-synchronize stuff (I am a bit of a
maniac when it comes to syncs working with video).

So, to respond to people talking about manual mixing/listening... still
a lot of that and manual crafting down to the (video) frame!

But the general idea is that digital-to-digital would be as efficient
(and fast) as possible, exactly to concentrate on the more creative parts :)

Lorenzo.
PS: Besides the topic, I wonder if proposing something (a workshop?)
about this workflow/experinca at LAC2017 might be of interest to the
community... Saint-Etienne is an alluring location :)