[LAU] How to compile Ardour and ZynAddSubFX on Windows 64-bit

Jeremy Carter jeremy at jeremycarter.ca
Mon Oct 3 13:49:11 UTC 2016

I moved the instructions here as per an Ardour dev's request:
https://github.com/defcronyke/ardour/blob/win64-mingw-msys/doc/unofficial_mingw64_msys2_build_instructions.txt

And here is a pull request where the howto is being considered:
https://github.com/Ardour/ardour/pull/278

As far as I have been told, no-one has been attempting Ardour builds on
MinGW64 MSYS2, compiling for Windows on Windows for quite some time, and
you only have to try it for yourself to see that the build process on
Windows doesn't work. I will be using Windows for a while now, so I'd like
to help bring better Windows support to Ardour.

The nightly Windows builds are cross-compiles AFAIK, so even if those were
working, which they currently aren't:
https://nightly.ardour.org/i/A_WIN_x86_64/build_log.txt
... that doesn't mean Ardour will build on Windows.

Also, Ardour devs don't want to share their Windows build scripts for some
reason, so I'd like to fill in what they leave out.

The reason I announce this on LAU is because I am a Linux audio user who
has recently moved to Windows (I still use Linux in a VM for most things,
but VMWare Player doesn't play nice with Ardour/Jack, so I'm stuck using
Ardour in Windows), and now I am going to great lengths to make sure I can
use my favourite Linux software on Windows. And I would like other
potential Windows Ardour devs to have an easier time getting set up than I
did. Ardour and Zyn are really Linux software, they were born into Linux,
and they work best on Linux, so I still think this thread is relevant for
LAU.

Regards,
Jeremy Carter