[LAU] Building ffmpeg (was: Building avplay)

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Fri Oct 7 18:23:42 UTC 2016

On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 19:54:35 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Oct 2016 13:32:18 -0400, jonetsu wrote:
> >So it looks good so far, but they're installed in the
> >default /usr/local/ location.
>
> This shouldn't matter, if it should matter for bitwig, then flea a bug
> against bitwig.

That's what I thought, that it should not matter.  I nevertheless asked
Bitwig.

> You could configure to chose the location /usr instead of /usr/local.
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr

I know, but the idea here was do first check if the new libav/ffmpeg
would by OK by themselves.  I presume I could go the configure way
now.  But, the picture is not so clear since the /usr/local/ location
should not matter (ldconfig was run and the avplay for instance is
available w/o specifying the path) and Bitwig still does not play right
the test file.

> No! Just keep in mind that Debian and Ubuntu split packages and
> make install as well as checkinstall don't do this, so your package
> does replace package.deb, libpackage.deb, libpackage-dev.deb etc. with
> package.deb only, providing everything. So you need to remove all the
> unneeded packages [1].

Hmmmm... This I am not keen about.  After years and years of building
Linux systems from scratch (LFS, BLFS) for both home and work, I am
using now a packaging system that's provided by the OS because it's
convenient but I still think that maintainers do absurd links, the
typical one being adding emacs in the dependencies because there is a
lisp file in a package.

Likewise, removing stuff does not forebode good tidings.  I guess I
could do a dry run.  And I could look at the control file.

Or I could use configure with /usr/