[LAU] The future of audio plugins ?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Oct 14 12:27:08 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2016-10-14 at 07:46 -0400, jonetsu wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Oct 2016 13:07:38 +0200 Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > > A template will obviously not recognize the audio it is being applied
> > > on since it has no intelligence, since it is static.  This is a large
> > > difference with the approach sketched here, for the enjoyment of a
> > > discussion.
>

> > Analysing a vocal track without analysing other tracks and knowing
> > what the audio engineer and/or artists wants to do, doesn't allow to
> > estimate any EQ settings that could be close to something useful, let
> > alone compressor settings.
>
> It's a balance of the two, mostly.  The end result has to be in
> conjunction with the remaining of the tracks but then, it can very well
> be that a single track by itself does need so adjustments no matter
> what.
>
> This said I am certainly not going into the details of how Track
> Assistant works as the subject as I defined it, is not about that.  I
> think it steers away from the subject.  So I will not address it.
>
> > Providing an exciter as a default tool to
> > mix vocals is completely wrong.
>
> If this is what Track Assistant does, then that's their choice.
>
> > "intelligent" is an absolutely wrong term for such a bad gimmick.
>
> To continue on this 'gimmick' would have to be defined.  Eg. is this
> out of TA or is it an example you bring forward on your own ?
>
> > I also don't understand how adding a selection of effects and default
> > settings is related to communication among the plugins and the host.
>
> Because, as with, if you wish, Pianoteq sounds, the selection does not
> exist before the action of creating it is being made.  It is created on
> the spot.
>
> The selection does not exist.
>
> > It doesn't matter if an analysing plugin adds templates of plugins
> > with selected templates of settings for those plugins, or if a user
> > simply adds such a template manually. For doing this, nothing is
> > required that isn't already provided. There's no need for plugin 1 to
> > share information with plugin 2.
>
> Because the 'selected templates of settings' does not exist.

What do you try to archive? Pianotrq talking to the host, that it
should add Fons' EQ, with some settings that fit to Pianoteq?

The more useless features you add by gimmicks for the "color by numbers"
crowd, the more likely are bugs in the software's code.

Assuming Pianoteq should require some general default EQ, then why not
simply providing sounds that don't require such a default EQ at all?

If Pianoteq should allow the user to store sound banks with effect
settings, than Pianotec itself should be the host for those effects.

Instead of staying with the manual, clear approach you want to add
unclear automation?

I guess the "color by numbers" crowd market is huger, than the market of
serious engineers and artists, however, companies hopefully still
continue to separate both markets a little bit.

"Gimp area analyser" suggest colours for drawing with the selected tool
at the tool pointer position. A color is equivalent to an audio EQ
setting. And "Gimp now provides 10000 mandala outlines to color in", the
equivalent to a recoding tool providing 10000 drum and percussion loops.
Now the best, load a mandala outline and use the Gimp area analyser and
a drawing tool, with a size that covers the complete canvas and within
one second you get a colored mandala. Get a professional designed and
colored mandala within a second, you can't have more fun in making art,
don't waste you time with doing anything yourself, while you could watch
you tube videos, you at the same time could draw one mandala after the
other. Have sex in just one second, you could watch porn tube videos at
the same time, you even don't need a partner.

Regards,
Ralf