[LAU] The future of audio plugins ?

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Tue Oct 18 23:02:11 UTC 2016

On 10/19/2016 12:19 AM, jonetsu wrote:
> Making it a distributed knowledge would not be realistic (TM) at all.

User: Guys, give me the dire straits!
EQ: Hey Overdrive, I'll add the brightness if you add distortion.
Overdrive: I'm in, dude.
Reverb: I'll be your reverb and we'll sound like brothers in arms
EQ: Deal.
Overdrive: EQ, please engage that low-shelf of yours I'm a bit bassy today.
Picard: Make it so.

:-)

You not only need a protocol, but a complete language for detailed
behavioral description of all building blocks. e.g. "How does a given
effect affect the signal phase depending on <parameter-set>".

I don't see plugin auto-config happen with a random set of plugins
anytime soon, and certainly not in a decentralized way with decision
logic built into the respective plugins. Then again, that would be a
cool project, maybe ask the DeepMind team.

Realistically it'll be a fixed set of plugin, the analysis tool has
pre-shared knowledge about the available DSP + parameter behavior and it
is trained (neural network, heuristics, presets,..) specifically for
those plugins.

2c,
robin