[LAU] The future of audio plugins ?

Will Godfrey willgodfrey at musically.me.uk
Wed Oct 19 21:04:29 UTC 2016

On Wed, 19 Oct 2016 21:52:36 +0100
Chris Cannam <cannam at all-day-breakfast.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Oct 2016, at 21:43, Jeremy Carter wrote:
> > What does the AI community think of it though?
>
> Dunno about AI exactly, but the auto-mixing area is quite a popular
> topic in academia. The AES workshop on intelligent music production
> (http://www.aes-uk.org/forthcoming-meetings/wimp2/ - hosted by the group
> I work in) covered some of this ground, to interesting but inconclusive
> ends.
>
> The SAFE plugins (http://www.semanticaudio.co.uk/) are related as well:
> based on crowdsourced mappings between musical terminology and plugin
> parameters, rather than on inputs from surrounding tracks, but the
> mechanism is vaguely similar.
>
> I'm working on a project about shared feature requisition from tracks at
> the moment, though I don't know whether it would be directly applicable
> to this sort of use.
>

> Chris

Not a recording engineer myself (and never will be) but I do know a couple.
When I tried to describe this as best I could to one today he jumped in with
"Automation. Great. Provided I'm the one who set it up and know exactly what is
happening at all times".

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk