[LAU] The future of audio plugins ?

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Thu Oct 20 19:45:03 UTC 2016

On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 19:20:11 +0000
Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:

> > > What are you talking about?
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression
>
> Which uses the term 'density' 7 times, in all cases as a
> measure of how many samples are clipped.
>
> So what do you mean by 'frequency density' ?
> And yes, compression can (but doesn't have to) affect perception
> of transients. What does that have to do with just using EQ and
> faders ?

Using compression to affect the transients is not the same as using EQ,
isn't it ?

BTW, this is going way off from the initial subject and the thread
should be renamed as something like "mixing techniques"

> > > Are you just trolling?
> >
> > Anyone doing a mix will start by proper gain staging.  That's it.
>
> As should be clear from the context, 'a mix' means using recorded
> signals. If the recording was done by someone knowing his trade

Here we offer as an argument the capacity of the person doing the
recording.  Whereas some knowledge is required, putting forth the person
itself is very weak for an argument, IMHO.  I would not call that
honest.