[LAU] Mixbus 32C (based on Ardour) and Reaper shootout

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Fri Oct 28 03:34:12 UTC 2016

On Thu, 27 Oct 2016, jonetsu wrote:

> There is a shootout going on with results next week:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhDVSaoZhwQ
>
> Harrison Mixbus 32C is based on Ardour and incorporates at the mixing
> stage the 32C channel strip that was used to make famous recordings by
> Michael Jackson, Supertramp, Paul Simon, Zappa, etc, etc...  Harrison
> also contributes support and code to the Ardour project.

Interesting. A lot of comments show that most people think this is a
straight up daw comparison. That is not true. It is mixbus vs. reaper with
plugins to achieve the same result. The reaper tracks may even have analog
stages in them as the studio does own some. The reaper tracks were the
original tracks and had the most time spent on them (they were being paid
for) but the MB stem mix was done only for demonstration. If the MB mixes
turn out better under those lines... it says good things about MB. If the
reaper plus plugins plus more mixing time sounds better it says not so
much. The mixes were pretty close.

There is no mention of workflow. Experience is big, I have done all my
work on Ardour and when I open up anything else I don't know where to
start. I have to reset the way I do things and in the end I am not willing
to put the time and effort into the learning curve. Which is better? The
one I know.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net