[LAU] Lexicon Alpha Studio

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Mon Oct 31 15:47:03 UTC 2016

On Mon, October 31, 2016 3:44 am, Yassin Philip wrote:
> http://lexiconpro.com/en/products/alpha
> Does anybody here know about this interface?

Very competent but basic interface.  Has a hardware monitor control which
is controlled by a front panel knob, also has a hardware volume knob for
the headphone out (which I also like, software crash cannot make unwanted
changes to headphone volume).

The microphone input (only one) does not have phantom power, and is very
basic.  Good if you only need 30dB or 40dB of gain, gets noisy at the
maximum 50dB gain setting.  With no phantom power you won't be using
condenser microphones, with limited gain range you won't be using ribbon
microphones, but fine for basic close range dynamic microphones.
I did not try the instrument input, so cannot comment on that.

I have a Lambda, bought an Alpha for someone else.  The Lambda is more
flexible, it has two microphone inputs with phantom power, but otherwise
very similar.  I would recommend the Lambda just because the phantom power
makes it useful with condenser microphones, but it is double the price.
If the extra 50 euros it not significant, I would get the Lambda just for
that flexibility.  If the money is just not available, or your friend
knows that a condenser microphone is not likely anytime in the near
future, then as far as I can tell the Alpha is very similar but with only
half the features, and proportionally at half the price.

--
Chris Caudle