[LAU] [SOLVED] Crackles in audio, drifting intermittent noise etc.

termtech termtech at rogers.com
Mon Oct 31 19:18:23 UTC 2016

A follow-up to a thread in August.

Recall: My Delta1010-LT card was not OK in my new PC so I tried it
 in another PC at the shop and it tested OK for 15 minutes,
 so I deemed that PC to be OK and my dealer would give me /that/ PC instead.

Imagine my surprise (anger) when I finally brought the other PC home
 and set it up, and the sound was fine...  For 15 minutes!
Then suddenly the same noises started again!

This time however, I noticed something: When using the card in an 'effect'
 situation, where audio input is passed through to an audio output, either
 directly or with some effect, horrible noise would appear after 15 minutes
 and then... slowly drift into working again for 15 minutes, and then slowly
 drift into noise again for 15 minutes, then working again for 15 minutes
 and so on.

This was a HUGE clue. This slow drifting in and out of noise is familiar.
It is instantly recognizable to me (as should you) as a synchronization
 problem, not a PCI voltage or bus problem.
Anyone who has worked with syncing multiple sound cards together,
 or with ADC + DAC mutual clock sync problems, or re-sampling up/down
 converters should recognize this slow drifting in and out of noise.
At last there was hope that this could be diagnosed and possibly solved.

So... on this replacement PC there is a setting in the BIOS for the number
 of CPU cores to activate. The cheaper original new PC had NO such setting.

* That setting has solved it! *

I had to set TWO CPU cores (or ONE) instead of FOUR CPU cores.

Working solidly for 3 days now!

*NO* other settings helped. Not even Speed Step et al.
They're all turned on now!

This is my first multi-core CPU. I'm late to the party.
Ironically I had told my dealer this was one of the reasons to get a new PC,
 so that I could test our app to see how it works with such newer CPUs.
I had even researched these CPUs and had read that it is possible that
 the CPU Clock signals can be independent for each core, thus causing
 some synchronization problems.
At this point I'm not sure if this a clock signal sync problem or a
 timer/counter problem. I had also read that 'local' timers/counters
 can be a problem with multi-core CPUs - that time is not quite the
 same in each core.

IIRC Someone told me that a quad core is two chips each with two cores ??
That might explain why sound works fine with TWO cores but not FOUR ??

My interrupt affinity list showed only core 3 was getting them,
 and forcing them to core 1 didn't help.

Can anyone shed some more light on these multi-core problems?
Comments welcome, please!

Thanks.
Tim.