[LAU] Audio interface

Thierry Andriamirado thierry.andriamirado at free.fr
Mon Sep 5 12:57:37 UTC 2016

Le 5 septembre 2016 09:58:09 UTC+03:00, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> a écrit :
>On Mon, 05 Sep 2016 09:09:47 +0300, Thierry Andriamirado wrote:
>>I mean I need a good preamp which keeps my guitar + amp + SM57 's
>>characters.
>
>recording electric guitars with a dynamic mic is ok, but IMO even not
>good preamps keep the characters, IOW recording electric guitars with
>a microphone usually works good with less good equipment, too. The

Generaly speaking, I agree..
But believe me: with the same mic, same position, distance and angle, the sound recorded with my SB Live seems so "cold". I +never+ could get the sound I had in my head.

>quality of the device you recommend might be good, I don't know, but to
>prove the quality of the device by electric guitar amp recordings with
>dynamic mic IMO isn't trusty.

Recording via "Dynamic mic" is trusty (and recquired!) for some guys and I'm one of them. Because it's a bit like a stompbox effect. I mean, if you know the hardware, you expect it to deliver a particular sound.
As a live performer, I knew how to position my dynamic mic. I tried some audio interfaces which sounded better than the SB Live, obviously. But the NI K6 really surprised me. That's what I meant.

Sometimes I record 2 channels: first one = amp + SM57. Second one = dry signal from a bypassed stereo stomp box, for reamping purposes with guitarix. This "dry" sound always sound good! Which, once again seemed to be impossible before I bought the K6.

Another example: I used it to record from a dying MiniDisc (no more spdif etc..), so at Line level: it sounded good and even kept the "coldness" (?) of the Minidisk. I mean: the K6 didn't add any unwanted coloration.

Now I'm not saying it's the best audio interface: it's a surprisingly cheap but very good itf working with Linux.