[LAU] Music Made With Linux - Evergreen - I'll Get To You

Glen MacArthur info at bandshed.net
Fri Sep 9 03:51:08 UTC 2016

Hi,

Oops, sorry I thought we were talking about sample rates :)

I was referring to the Presonus 1818VSL, the basic hardware is USB-2 class
compliant and works on Linux, the trim/gain knobs on the front are also
operational as hardware. On Windows/OSX the Presonus driver has DSP
Plugins that are operational in it's Graphical Mixer application so you
have EQ and compression within the unit itself that is accessible without
needing a DAW. I've even seen people use the 1818VSL with Windows as a
Live mixer and with all that software DSP it works quite well as a Live
mixer. There is no Mixer app on Linux that accesses the built-in DSP
unfortunately but even just being used as hardware the unit has good
quality quiet preamps.

In my experience a full RT Preempt kernel is a necessity to get the
latency down to 512fpp or less, with standard issue lowlatency kernels,
even tweaked ones like Liquorix anything less than 1024fpp X-ran like
crazy.

So to summarize, the preamps and trim pots are available as hardware, the
extra DSP is available as software in Windows/OSX drivers only. All in all
I think this is one of the best 8 channel I/O options for Linux Audio
users.

Best Regards, Glen