[LAU] Yoshimi - trying to help newbies

Will Godfrey willgodfrey at musically.me.uk
Sun Sep 11 18:35:45 UTC 2016

Thanks both for your comments.

To my shame, it seems I allowed myself to be spooked by a couple of emails I
got in rapid succession (different addresses) both suggesting Alsa start was
better for beginners.

This is actually (mostly) a non problem. For some time now Yoshimi has
looked for whatever is set as default, and if it can't find it then looks
for alternatives. So, at first time start, a newbie would almost certainly end
up with an all Alsa session, unless they already had Jack running.

The embarrassing bit is that it was me who originally asked for this to be
implemented by one of Yoshimi's little helpers.

The remaining point is that Yoshimi never attempts to start the jack server
(unless the -k argument is sent at startup) so that's something we should
probably take a look at.

I shall now go and stand in the corner facing the wall (again).

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk