[LAU] Dereverberation

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Wed Sep 14 17:45:04 UTC 2016

On 9/14/2016 1:33 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 12:46:34PM -0400, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
>
>> Given in my case I am not concerned with mangling the audio (it is
>> not intended to be played back, only used to calculate TDOA between
>> mics), I have no reservations towards resorting to destructive kinds
>> of processing as long as it improves my ability to identify accurate
>> TDOA between multiple mics.
> But earlier:

> So now I'm a bit confused... Do you need improved audio, or just
> signal statistics ???

Good point. As long as the spectral content is more accurate because it
is devoid of extraneous reflections and therefore potentially altering
the spectral composition to the point it fails to be cross-correlated
correctly, and a single window of sound is enough to do a more accurate
cross-correlation, I am fine with that. The in-between-windowing
artifacts do not concern me as long as they are not a cause of signal
degradation to the point where cross-correlation is affected by it. Hope
this helps. Thank you all for your input so far.

Best,

Ico