[LAU] yoshimi, zyn and Ardour

jonetsu at teksavvy.com jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Mon Sep 19 12:16:29 UTC 2016

On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 13:17:25 +0200
Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsutton at gmail.com> wrote:

> In music-land, for example, the possibility to open an independent
> matrix editor (a.k.a. 'piano roll' in certain applications), as an
> independent window for multiple (sometimes many!) tracks is
> invaluable. Here a single-window approach IMHO is a headache.

I must say I use 'piano rolls' only as reference when editing MIDI
notes and from this use, having it immediately by the track is totally
useful.  I wouldn't see the use of it if it was 'meters' away from where
the notes are.  In both Ardour and Bitwig, they are flanking the track,
which is useful, IMHO.

> I can go into more details about why, on the sound-track composition
> work-flow I went through recently to explain this if anyone is
> interested to a more in-depth explanation.

You mention 'composition'.  With this I assume it means music scores.
The equivalent of creating music using a pencil and paper.  This is not
a work flow that I know and use.  I rather create with sounds instead
of theory.  With the applications that I use for doing so, Ardour,
Bitwig and Renoise, none of this concept of separate popup windows is
used.  And this means not counting plugins which are distinct
applications after all.

In the software development domain, I do not know of applications that
uses separate windows.  I do not use eclipse.

So still, I do not see anything common, or even Linux-like in having a
single applications popping up windows that are not dialog boxes or
warning messages.  I would rather think this is the exception.  I
understand the concept, but the actual need for them might be rare.  In
synth sound creation, seeing all the high quality sound sets made by
3rd parties, I would say it is not needed at all.