[LAU] limits.conf not applied in Ubuntu 16.10

Aurélien Leblond blablack at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 11:45:22 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Is testing Ubuntu 16.10 these days, noticed something interesting.

Since upgraded to 16.10 Yakkety, modifications in /etc/security/limits.conf
are not taken into consideration when logging in the graphical interface.

Reported the bug already to Ubuntu, but if I could find a workaround in the
meantime...

/etc/security/limits.conf:
@audio   -  rtprio     99
@audio   -  memlock    unlimited

I tried the same settings in /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf, to the same
results.

After logging in Unity, opening a console, the limits are not set:
blablack at ideaon:~$ ulimit -l -r
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 64
real-time priority              (-r) 0

Reloging to my user DOES apply the limits:
blablack at ideaon:~$ ulimit -l -r
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 64
real-time priority              (-r) 0
blablack at ideaon:~$ su blablack
Password:
blablack at ideaon:~$ ulimit -l -r
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) unlimited
real-time priority              (-r) 99

Switching to a console (ctrl+alt+f1) and logging in would apply the limits
as well.

The exact same setup used to work fine on Xenial 16.04 before upgrade.

I think it's something with Pam and Lightdm (or at least a lot of googling
is pointing me in that direction).

Would you guys have any idea what I can have a look at?

Thanks in advance,
Aurélien