[LAU] limits.conf not applied in Ubuntu 16.10

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Tue Sep 27 13:47:10 UTC 2016

On Tue, 27 Sep 2016, Aurélien Leblond wrote:

> Hi all,
> Is testing Ubuntu 16.10 these days, noticed something interesting.
>
> Since upgraded to 16.10 Yakkety, modifications in /etc/security/limits.conf are
> not taken into consideration when logging in the graphical interface.
>
> Reported the bug already to Ubuntu, but if I could find a workaround in the
> meantime...
>
> /etc/security/limits.conf:
> @audio   -  rtprio     99
> @audio   -  memlock    unlimited
>
> I tried the same settings in /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf, to the same
> results.

The standard way of setting this in ubuntu/debian is to install jackd from
the command line:
sudo apt-get install jackd2
and answer the realtime dialog yes... then logout and back in. If you have
already installed jackd from some GUI installer, then you may need to add
the --reinstall flag to force the install script to run.

In my opinion, the jackd install should assume yes and not allow install
without this set. However, debian policy feels the user should have to
make an extra selection in this case as it _may_ have some security
implications.

> After logging in Unity, opening a console, the limits are not set:
> blablack at ideaon:~$ ulimit -l -r
> max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 64
> real-time priority              (-r) 0

<rant>
According to Mark S. Unity is made to be beautiful or provide a beautiful
experience or some such. Getting any real work done with Unity has never
been easy for me and I have switched to Xfce as my desktop. Profesional
audio has never been a priority with Unity though I do know there are
people who can make it work flawlessly. Personally, I do not need my
desktop to think it is a phone.
</rant>

Having said that 16.10 is not released yet. I will have to check that xfce
works correctly too.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net