[LAU] John Option: new song and new video

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Fri Sep 30 08:15:41 UTC 2016

> On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 19:18:22 +0200
> "Patrick Shirkey" <pshirkey at boosthardware.com> wrote:
>
>> It should not be a surprise that some of us in Linux Audio want to
>> promote Linux Audio and #musicmadewithlinux to as wide an audience as
>> possible. There are many good reasons which have nothing to do with
>> money but if someone makes some money from their art created with
>> Linux tools that doesn't make their art any less relevant.
>
> Activism could be one reason.  The FSF is mentioned in this thread.
>
> Like what other good reasons ?

If you have to ask...*

You are relatively new to Linux Audio but it has been a long effort over
20 years to get Linux Audio to the point where it is now. It has been a
concerted community effort on many fronts and there are literally
thousands of people who have contributed to the overall platform. That
Linux Audio has matured to the point where people like yourself are not
really concerned about the underlying foundation is a small win but that
doesn't mean people like myself will stop or should stop evangelizing for
Linux Audio.

The recent discussion about the merits of Ableton Link can serve as a case
study. It has been suggested (strongly and with real world examples) that
we haven't done enough to make the value of JACK and Linux Audio obvious
to external "players" in the global music industry. One of many ways that
we will increase the perceived value of our platform and tools from the
wider industry is through successful artists who represent the tools they
are using.

Another example is the massive marketing budgets that various industry
players use to promote there products. The marketing effort keeps their
brand in the periphery.

It's true that many Linux people have serious reservations about the music
industry in general. Taking it head on that doesn't mean that we agree
with the system.  IMO, applying our combined expertise/resources to
promote Linux Audio and the artists using Linux tools is still a valid use
of our collective effort.

* Ode to Linux (Audio)
ahem (clears throat)

How do I love thee, let me count the ways,
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candlelight.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints,—I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life!—and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd