[LAU] Linux Audio: An overview

jonetsu jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Mon Apr 3 13:45:04 UTC 2017

On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 00:29:39 -1000
Joel Roth <joelz at pobox.com> wrote:

> I didn't notice any mention of ALSA, which has served the Linux Audio
> community for years. I would expect too, some mention of
> pulseaudio, as so many distros install it by default, and it
> can conflict with using JACK and ALSA.

Isn't that a thing of the past by now ?  I have a Linux Mint 17 system,
a couple of years old, and pulseaudio simply goes through jack.  Since
everything else apart from 'pro' audio uses pulseaudio, this makes it
quite simple to handle.  I did have to add the pulseaudio sink though,
it was not installed automatically.  But isn't that the case with many
other things in all OSes ?  Eg. you can run 'pro' audio in Linux, which
is an add-on to the default audio system, although you have to configure
this or that to do so.  As such it is not a conflict with an uppercase
'C' but rather a configuration adjustment to be done.