[LAU] Linux Audio: An overview

hollundertee at gmx.net hollundertee at gmx.net
Mon Apr 3 18:06:33 UTC 2017

On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 09:36:48 -0700
Bob van der Poel <bob at mellowood.ca> wrote:

> I like the article. I'm sure there are lots of bits and pieces one
> could argue with ... but that's life.
>
> My biggest complaint is that I've never gotten JACK to run on a
> computer, despite help from many knowledgeable folks. And I consider
> myself to be moderately advanced linux user. Gawd help the novice!
> So, when it comes to doing recording and other tasks I use non-jack
> applications which, for my limited demands, seem to work fine.

That is incredibly and hard to believe.
Getting JACK to work was relatively easy even back when I first
tried it, which must be nearly ten years ago. Since then PA came into
the mix, which complicates matters somewhat.

Anyway, using ALSA directly is no drawback, as long as you don't need
routing or a program that does not support ALSA. Those programs are
relatively few, Ardour and maybe a few others require JACK. Firefox
will require PA soon and there are a few others, but that's an entirely
different story.