[LAU] Linux Audio: An overview

Hank Stanglow stanglow at yandex.com
Tue Apr 4 02:56:57 UTC 2017

On 04/03/2017 12:05 AM, Louigi Verona wrote:

> Linux Audio: An overview
> <https://louigiverona.com/?page=projects&s=writings&t=linux&a=linux_linuxaudio>

Thank you for putting into words my exact feelings on Linux Audio. Like
you, I started using Linux seven years ago. It took me six months just
to understand the basics of this convoluted Linux Audio landscape. I
welcomed the challenge and wrote some interesting music after being
forced to change my approach and workflow. (I had been using Win/MAC
DAWs since the early 90s.) But unlike you, I gave up on Linux Audio.
Every six months or so I try out one of the popular programs (like
Qtractor and Audacity), but inevitably I shrug and say "meh, still not
good enough." I've gone back to using 10 year old Windows DAWs, editors,
and plugins in WINE because, even with parts of the software broken by
emulation, it's still better than most native stuff. And it's not like
I'm new to the challenges of music and technology. I've been writing
electronic music since Cakewalk 3.01, running MIDI cables around my
apartment to different machines. To me, using native Linux audio tools
is painful at best, which is too bad, because I make money producing
audio and would love to support and promote Linux Audio the way I
promote (and financially support) other Linux tools. If only there was
something I could add to my workflow!

There is a certain type of musician that feels at home using native
Linux tools. I'm not one of them, nor are any of my friends, although I
do know a couple musicians who are also programmers that are comfortable
making music with Linux... Imagine that.